The minister announced a record investment plan of over Rs. 1 lakh crore in 2015-16 while sparing the passengers of a fare hike. A number of steps to increase passenger amenities have also been proposed.
- No hike in Railway Passenger Fares
- Plan Outlay proposed Rs. 1,00,011 crore, increased by 52%
- Allocation for passenger amenities up by 67%
- Railways to become prime mover of Indian Economy, Five years action plan proposed
- Rail Budget seeks resource mobilization for higher investment
- Thrust on measurable and sustainable improvement in passenger experience and to make Rail a safer means of travel
- Hot buttons, coin vending machines for railway tickets within 5 minutes, e-catering to select meals from an array of choices
- 200 more stations to come under Adarsh Station scheme; Wi-Fi to be provided at B category stations
- 24X7 helplines for attending passenger problems and security related complaints
- For the safety of women passengers surveillance cameras in suburban coaches
- More General class coaches will be added in identified trains.
- The speed of nine railway corridors will be increased to 160 and 200 kmph
- Train Protection Warning System and Train Collision Avoidance System to be installed on select routes
- 77 new projects covering 9,400 km of doubling/tripling/quadrupling works proposed
- A new department for keeping stations and trains clean under Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat Abhiyan