In another initiative to ease the lives of citizens, the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) has joined hands with MapmyIndia to enable map services in the Centre’s UMANG mobile app.
With the map services enabled in the UMANG app, the citizens will be able to locate their nearest government facilities such as mandis, blood banks and much more. Also, people would be able to see these on the most detailed and interactive street and village level maps of India, built by MapmyIndia. Besides this, citizens can look for driving distance to the locations, get directions and even audio and video assistance for turns. The service will also raise prompts for traffic and road safety alerts during navigation.
The UMANG app has already started to provide map functionality through MapmyIndia in the following services:
- Mera Ration – Through UMANG, users can identify and navigate to the ‘Nearest Fair Price Shops’ as shops are visible in the form of pointers on MapmyIndia integrated map.
- eNAM – Through UMANG, ‘Mandi Near Me’ service will help users to identify and navigate to the nearby mandis pointed on the map.
- Damini – ‘Damini Lightning Alerts’ service is to provide lightning alerts to users by giving a visual of nearby areas where lightning has struck in the last few minutes. This alert mechanism provides the possibility of lightning strikes on the map view.
To further increase usefulness to citizens, the map functionality will be shortly enabled in many more services such as:
- ESIC – Users can view ESIC centres such as hospitals/dispensaries on the map view and navigate to them.
- Indian Oil – Service is to locate nearby retail and distributors of Gas stations as well as fuel filling stations.
- NHAI – Users can view the toll plazas and toll rates information while traveling.
- National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) provides information corresponding to nearby police stations on the map.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (Meri Sadak) will help users to raise complaints of damaged roads (under PMGSY) by selecting the road on MapmyIndia platform.
(With inputs from PIB)